Bruce Davidson (prices: later prints 2300 € - 3000 €)
Bruce Davidson, born 1933 in Illinois, began photography at the age of 10 in Oak Park, Illinois. In 1949, he won a first prize in the Kodak National High School competition. Later he attended the Rochester Institute of Technology, and Yale University. After military service in 1957 he worked as a free lance photographer for Life magazine before becoming a member of Magnum Photos, the world known international photography agency.
He received a Guggenheim Fellowship in 1962 to document youth in America. In 1963, the Museum of Modern Art in New York presented a “one man” exhibition that included „The Dwarf“, „Brooklyn Gang“ and photographs from the „Civil Rights Movement“.
He received the first grant in photography from the National Endowment for the Arts in1966 and spent two years documenting one block in „Spanish Harlem“. This work was published in 1970 by Harvard University Press under the title „East 100 th Street“, and was an exhibition at the Museum of Modern Art in New York that year.
His “fine art” photographs are held by many museums and private collections including Topan´s “Master of Photography” the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the George Eastman House, the Museum Ludwig, Cologne and the Museum of Modern Art in New York.
- 1965 Art Institute, Chicago
- 1970 MoMa, New York
- 1979 Galerie Delpire, Paris
- 1983 Musée Reattu, Arles
- 1998 ICP, New York
- 1999 in focus Galerie, Köln
- Tokyo Metropolitan Museum, Tokyo
- Victoria and Albert Museum, London
- 2007 Photo Espana, Madrid
- 2007 Foundation Cartier Bresson, Paris
- 2008 in focus Galerie, Köln
- 2010 Howard Greenberg gallery, USA
- 2011 Rose gallery, USA
- 2012 C/O Berlin
- 2012 Nordic Light Event, Kristiansund, Norwegen
- The Bridge, New York, 1964
- The Negro American, New York, 1966
- East 100 th street, Cambridge, 1970
- Photographs, New York, 1978
- Subway, New York, 1984
- B. D., Paris, 1984
- Central Park, New York, 1995
- Brooklyn Gang, Santa Fe, 1998
- East 100 th Street, Cologne, 1999 by in focus Galerie
- Portraits, New York, 1999
- East 100 th Street, Los Angeles, 2003
- Circus, Göttingen, 2007
- Steidl, Outside-Inside, 2009 - Trilogie